Thursday, December 13, 2018

Legacy


     Today’s person of faith is much closer to home for me. No worldwide ministry claimed her, no books were written by or about her, but she left an enormous legacy of faith and a huge impact on my life. This woman of faith was my grandma, Pella. Yes, Pella and Ole never lost their strong Swedish accent, calling me, “Yudy.” They were upbeat and…well…a bit goofy. Grandpa loved playing tricks on all of us, played the accordion, and brought plastic glasses with big noses for everyone to wear at family picnics. His laugh was contagious.

     They laughed like children and loved like Jesus. I still have Pella’s Swedish Bible. I picture her thumbing through this great Book daily, humming sweet hymns as she rocked and read. Her hands were always busy, reading, knitting or twiddling her thumbs. (My husband tells me I have inherited this gene.). The thin, worn-out pages of her Bible remind me of the saying, “if your Bible is wearing out, there is a good chance you are not.”

     Her love of the Lord guided everything she did. My grandma and grandpa, my mom and her siblings all accepted Jesus as Savior at one of Billy Graham’s first tent revivals. I am still partial to the ministry of Billy Graham. Today’s verses are from Proverbs 31 and the value of a faith-filled wife, mom and follower of God.

A wife of noble character, who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:10-13

     Yes, Pella was a wonderful wife and worked with eager hands. Here are two more verses to describe my wonderful, Swedish grandma.

She is clothed with strength and dignity, she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed, her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:25-28

Lord,

Thank You for great women of faith, instructing their families and tending to their needs with the love of Christ. I was blessed to have just such a grandma and just such a mom. I am grateful.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment