Monday, May 24, 2021

The Holy Spirit

 

     Growing up in the 1960’s and 1970’s in a Lutheran church, my ideas about the Triune God were way off kilter. I imagined Father God as a fierce-looking old man with a long white beard, watching and waiting for me to do something wrong. Jesus was, of course, my friend. We sang, “What a Friend We have in Jesus” and “Jesus Loves Me.”  I loved having Him for my friend. With his long hair and sandals He fit right into the culture around me.

     Honestly, the Holy Spirit was rarely mentioned other than a vague reference to the “Holy Ghost.”. Sounded a bit spooky to me. Today the Triune God is made up of three distinct persons, all of whom I love deeply. Let’s look together at the Holy Spirit this week.

     He is alive and well, living in and working through believers.  He is our teacher, comforter, prayer warrior and His purpose is to bring glory to our Lord. Jesus explained the purpose of His Holy Spirit:                                                                                                

But when the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on His own. He will speak only what He hears and He will tell you what is yet to come. He will glorify Me, because it is from Me that He will receive what He will make known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from Me what He will make known to you.  John 16:13-15

     The Spirit will guide us into all truth. The Spirit will open our hearts to the wisdom of the word of God. He speaks what He hears from Jesus. He glorifies Christ in all He does through us. He makes known to us everything that belongs to our Father in heaven.

Father,

Thank You for the gifts the Holy Spirit gives us, the way He works through us, and the ways He brings glory to Your son, Jesus.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment