Monday, August 30, 2021

Personal Tales of God's Perfect Timing

 

     This time of unanswered questions, filled with a roller-coaster of emotions moving from full-on hope to full-on despair, to sleepless nights and worried days has found me looking back throughout my life. I hope you will allow me to share some personal stories this week. You have your own and I hope you have opportunities to share them.  

     None of us gets through this life without suffering and loss, without challenges and grief, and most importantly, without joy and blessings. The joy and blessings in my life far, far outweigh any of the tragic circumstances, but as is His way, God brought me closer to Him through the uncertain times. I hope He has done the same for you.

     My dad died in his sleep when I was fourteen. A year earlier my brother tried to commit suicide (more about him later this week) and my cousin was killed in a car accident shortly after he returned from Vietnam.  My idyllic childhood was brought to a crashing halt as I experienced my first bouts with anxiety, and realized there are times in life when we have absolutely no control.

     Luckily, I had the best mom in the world. She and I became dependent on one another, she as my safe harbor, me, a reason for her to go on. The year I became engaged (at the ripe old age of 31) I was diagnosed with the eye disease that would lead to legal blindness and my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 uterine cancer. As she was getting close to death just a couple weeks before our wedding, she insisted we go through with the ceremony. Nip and I went to visit her between the wedding and reception in our wedding clothes and I was able to say goodbye. She waited until the next morning (she did it for me) and we planned a funeral and cancelled our honeymoon.

     Yes, tragic, but God had provided a safe place for me with my mom and now, He had given me the perfect partner in life, one who never blinked an eye with my diagnosis and helped me through the deep grief of losing my mom. This was a time of great searching on my part, a time of endless writing and seeking God. And I found Him.

     Throughout the years, there has been a house fire and my husband suffered a stroke. Both made us stronger as a family and as a couple. But the feelings and emotions suffered throughout these times, came back to me as we worry about our sweet Gavin. All of us have gone down roads in our imaginations that do no good. All of us have lain awake in deep fear and dread. Our human nature takes us away from living in the moment, to fearing the future. So today, I want you to give yourself a break. If you are in a difficult and dark time, let God hold you. He understands when you are too numb to pray, when you cry out when you don’t get an immediate answer. Lean on your friends and family to pray for you. You will feel it, just as we do now.

     And God? He is still there. He will lead you out. His timing will be perfect, just as His will and purposes are always good. On an unfamiliar and scary path? Listen to His words for you today.

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them. I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do. I will not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16

And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him and have been called according to His purpose.  Romans 8;28

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. Romans 8;17

Dear Jesus,

Give us hope and comfort through the dark times. Turn the darkness into light before us and turn our lives back to You. Shine Your glory through each event in life, through blessings and worry, through joy and despair. You will guide us on the unfamiliar paths and not forsake us.

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment