Monday, October 25, 2021

I Brake For Miracles

 

Caffeine on my mind, almost ready to rise.

Bur first, there is time to analyze.

I woke up this morning with the breath of life.

I woke up this morning as a mother and wife.

As I stretch on my tiptoes, I see the sunrise.

The coffee is made, what a delightful surprise!

As I reach the kitchen for my fix of the day,

I sit at the table and remember to pray.

 “Dear Lord, focus my eyes on things above.

 Teach me to see the world around me in love.”

There, out my window, a butterfly takes wing,

and the chickadees, robins and wrens do sing.

How often do I miss the color of the sky,

the bumblebee, the puppy, the newborn cry?

So many days I neglect these small joys,

as life becomes filled with chaos and noise.

Everyday miracles surround me as I work,

as I walk, as I drive, as the coffee does perk.

When the drudgery of life again takes a toll,

I promise myself,I will pause to fill my soul.

The laughter we share, a moment to chat,

a spouse, a friend or the curious cat.

Each clump of fur, each blade of grass

each color of the rainbow, each clink of a glass.

The bulb that I planted way back in the fall,

has a bright orange flower and is 5-feet tall.

Phone rings, computer calls; distractions ever near

the heart-pounding stress, the dread and the fear.

The business of the day must be dealt with, I suppose

just one more sip, one more fragrant sniff of a rose.

What time is it? Oh dear, I hope I’m not late,

I hightail it to the car, with a slam of the gate.

Surrounded by traffic, a meeting on my mind,

Deluged in details, back to the grind.

A bunny darts out, I move my foot to the brake,

He is undecided about which direction to take.

Smitten with his ears and his cotton-ball tail,

I recognize his frozen gaze, unsure of his trail.

At one with the bunny, I sit in a daze,

What’s next? Where to go? I meet his gaze.

What will God place in my path on this day?

Will I stop, take notice, find time to pray?

Please let me pause, savor life on my way

I’ll brake for miracles, what do you say?

 

This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

 

 

 

1 comment: