Thursday, February 27, 2014

Praise Prayers

     What would happen to us if each and every morning we began our day with praising God? Typically, our first thoughts turn to the details of the day. We begin with our to-do lists, our work schedule, our kids schedules, our worries, grumbling about the weather (don’t get me started on our winter!) our aches and pains and a myriad of other distracting thoughts. Those thoughts satisfy the wishes of the enemy of our souls.

     How would our days change with thoughts of God? How would our attitudes shift if we begin with a prayer of praise and thanksgiving for our blessings, for our ability to work, for the birds and squirrels outside of our windows, for the sun’s rising each day, for the people in our lives, or just for the fact that Jesus loves us always and forever? Our praises take the focus off of our struggles and our busyness and allow God’s presence to be felt and His strength to be leaned on and His power to be unleashed as we get on with our day.

     Here are a few verses to get us started. Look up some of your own. There are over 300 verses with the word, “praise” in them. The Psalms are full of praise. David, even in his darkest days of grief and of shame always turned back to praising our God. Praise and pray to God over these verses adding thoughts of your own:

I will sing the Lord’s praise, for He has been good to me. Psalm 13:6

Praise be to the Lord, for He has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield, my heart trusts in Him and He helps me. My heart leaps for joy and with my song I praise Him. Psalm 28:6-7

Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God. Psalm 42:5

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens.  Psalm 68:19

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Dear Father,
We praise You today for Your compassion, for Your comfort, for the love of Jesus, for Your mercy, for bearing our burdens. Be our strength and give us hope as You love us and bless us through our days.
In Jesus name

Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment