Monday, March 14, 2016

Life and Death

    Ok, please put up with me today. I had all intents and purposes set on the deep subject of life and death. I love deep conversation. The meaning of life. The fear of death. The soon return of Christ. And then the seemingly inconsequential pitfalls and minor mishaps in life begin to pile up. So today I whine. You have been there.

    Life intrudes on our best intentions. A stomach ailment followed by a cough/achy flu bug followed by tooth and jaw pain. Add to that never-ending computer issues  (i am typing this slowly on my IPad). A refrigerator on the "warm" setting, NO SLEEP!  You can paint the picture. The colors and the outline are familiar. You can fill in your own story.

    You all know by now, I rely on Jesus. I love Jesus. I write about Jesus. I study Jesus. I long to tell others about Jesus. And, yet, I fall apart when those non- life threatening miniscual problems add up.

    Here I sit. The sane and rational part of me has been taken over by tears. They feel good. I want to savor them. Poor pitiful me. But images are re-inserting themselves. My husband's patient understanding and warm embrace. Shopping with my beautiful daughters. One chooses a large piece of artwork that reads, "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands," and the other daughter chooses a small table frame reading, "silly rabbit, Easter is for Jesus." Yes, they love Him, too. I smile through the tears.

    Blessings. There they are. Watch for them. In the middle of a really bad "I just want to have a pity party kind of day."  We can allow each other those days. Life can be tough  Wallow for awhile. Confide in a friend.  God shows up. In a smile. In a friend. In a hug. In a piece of rope, a piece of hope to hold onto for dear life.   Hang on to life. Hang on to hope.

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain. Hebrews 6:19

Dear Jesus,
Give us a vision of life and hope in You. Help us to count our blessings and, at the same time, allow the tears to flow. You understand it all as our anchor of hope.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment