Tuesday, December 20, 2016

My Friend Phyllis


     One of my very best friends is 85 years old. I am 61. I hope you have older friends and younger friends. Both can be inspiring. Phyllis and I, and another good friend, have prayed together weekly for almost fifteen years. Along with prayer, we have done a variety of Bible studies together. She has taught us much. On Saturday, Phyllis suffered an aortic dissection and endured almost six hours of surgery. The recovery will be slow and will progress over a long period of time.

     So much can change in a split second. Have you experienced the same in your life or in the life of someone you love? When something so sudden affects our lives so dramatically it causes us to stop in the midst of life and ask those deep questions. The life and death questions we often want to avoid.

     Phyllis has never shied away from those questions. And she has a firm and honest answer. “Jesus  is my Savior and He loves me. I know I am going to heaven and I don’t worry about those things.” She has a true peace and a true joy that are contagious. She has taught us well, about love, about the power of prayer, about filling other lives with joy, about pausing to appreciate all we have  and about compassionate care. All of us who love her are blessed.

     Many friends and family members are praying for her. We hope to share the earth with her for a long time to come. But when the day arrives for her to meet Jesus, we will have peace. Just as she did, with the joy and hope of heaven.

 Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God. Believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions. If it were not so, would I have told you? I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with Me that you also may be where I am. John 14:1-3

Father,

Thank You for Phyllis and all of Your followers who continue to show us the way to peace and joy and hope. Keep Phyllis wrapped safely in Your arms, both now and forevermore.

In Jesus name,

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment