Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Yearning for God

 

     King David wore his heart on his sleeve. I am so thankful for the words he penned so long ago with his strong emotions that match our own. David fell in love and committed great sin because of it. He cried out for forgiveness. Another time, with his enemies surrounding him, we understand his great fear. And, like us, there were days he did not understand his deep anguish and sadness.

Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so distraught within me? Psalm 42:5a

    Through it all, his faith in God remained. In fact, the Bible calls him, “a man after God’s own heart.” We can learn from this man. He is not shy about pouring his heart out to God. Throughout the Psalms he moves through his life seeking God, praising God and loving God. In the second half of the verse above, even with his downcast soul, and his distress he continues:

Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. Psalm 42:5b

    If great sadness surrounds you today, cry out to God. And yearn for his presence. If you are scared, His protection surrounds you. Read these beautiful words that begin this Psalm.

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? Psalm 42:1-2

Jesus,

We yearn for the living water of your grace. Even through the times our souls are downcast within us, You are there. Hear our cries for help today. Hear our voices filled with sadness. You hear us and we will ever praise You, our Lord.

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment