Friday, July 5, 2013

Spiritual Growth

Week Two     Spiritual Growth
Day Five        Scripture

     Yesterday I drove a car for the first time in sixteen years. I gave up my driver’s license when I began to lose my peripheral vision due to an eye disease called retinitis pigmentosa. My friends and family, my wonderful husband and two daughters have taken on the added responsibility of chauffeuring me around. I have grown used to this loss of freedom.

    Last fall we bought a two seater cherry red roadster convertible with a stick shift and, boy, did I want to drive it. Yesterday we stopped at a large empty parking lot near the State of Minnesota fairgrounds and I drove around it several times. It filled me with delight and joy as if I were a small child. I have a huge smile on my face just thinking about it.

     Living with Christ as Savior can give you a lasting peace and joy that stays with you, not just a short spurt of it during a fast ride around a parking lot. He fills us with a lasting joy. This week we discovered we are sealed for eternity with the Holy Spirit; we soaked in the unconditional and sacrificial love of a God who rejoices over us with singing. We gave Him all of our fear and anxiety.

     I do love to picture heaven, when I will see my mom and dad again, where I see my brother leaping with joy after not being able to walk for a long time. I imagine those that have never had the gift of sight or hearing, taking in every sound and sight. I see reunions of family and friends as we recognize the fact that we will live eternally in a perfect place made just for us.

     The good news is, as the saying goes, “It is not just pie in the sky when we die; it is cake on the plate while we wait.” Jesus can fill in the missing pieces of our lives right now. He will minister to you, just as you are, in a way made uniquely for you. If you are like I was over twenty years ago, I did not believe the Bible was worth the time and effort. So many of us believe it is too difficult to figure out, that it was written so long ago it has nothing to do with us today or even that the Old Testament is all about wrath and judgment. None of the above are true. In fact, it is the oldest ploy of Satan; to keep us away from God’s Word. It began with the words to Eve, “Did God really say……?”

     All of God’s Word is beneficial to us. The Bible from beginning to end is true and the more you read, the hungrier you get for more. It is God breathed. (2 Timothy 3)  Here is a verse I love. It was written for the spiritually blind, but it speaks to my physical blindness as well.

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known; along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the tough places smooth. These are the things I will do. I will not forsake them.   Isaiah 42:16

     I trust Him with my life and He has taken me on unfamiliar paths. I do have the only Light that matters. I pray you will find verses made just for you. Take some time to soak up His love, to get a grasp on our eternal gift and to listen for His voice leading you through the darkness into His glorious light.

Dear Father in Heaven,
Thank you for loving each one of us in a special way. Guide each person stopping by this site today to feel Your presence in a new way. And I pray for each one to feel those pure moments of joy as they try something new and beautiful. And not only those moments, but the deep joy of Your presence every minute of every day.
In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment