Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Truth About Angels: Michael


     Our heavenly messenger, Gabriel, was sent to play an important part in God’s plan. He interpreted Daniel’s visions and gave him insight into the last days. He was the one to deliver the good news regarding the upcoming births of John and our Lord, Jesus.

     The mighty warrior angel, Michael, is mentioned in three books of the Bible; Daniel, Jude and Revelation. Like Gabriel, Michael is involved in bringing answers to prayer and in fulfilling the prophecies of the Scriptures. I want to share a larger portion of Scripture, Watch for another remarkable angel, who will mention Michael for the first time. Again, we are in the book of Daniel. Daniel has been in a time of deep and fervent prayer.

I looked up and there before me was a man dressed in linen, with a belt of fine gold from Uphaz around his waist. His body was like topaz, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a multitude. I, Daniel, was the only one who saw the vision; those who were with me did not see it, but such terror overwhelmed them that they fled and hid themselves. So I was left alone, gazing at this great vision; I had no strength left; my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless. Then I heard him speaking, and as I listened to him, I fell into a deep sleep, my face to the ground. A hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees. He said, “Daniel, you who are highly esteemed, consider carefully the words I am about to speak to you and stand up for I have now been sent to you.” And when he said this to me, I stood up trembling. Then he continued. “Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them. But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia. Now, I have come to explain to you what will happen to your people in the future, for the vision concerns a time yet to come.”  Daniel 10:5-14

     This first mention of Michael helps us understand his mission as a warrior angel, fighting with the demonic world. We will talk about the fall of the angel Lucifer (or Satan) later. When Lucifer fell from heaven he took 1/3 of the angels and the battles continue in the spiritual realm.

     Isn’t it interesting that this angel was sent to answer Daniel’s prayer and it took him 21 days? This awe-inspiring angel with fiery eyes and a face like lightning could not get to Daniel without a battle in the heavens, even enlisting the help of Michael. Amazing!

     Daniel’s companions did not even see the angel, yet they hid themselves in terror and Daniel had no strength, fell into a sleep and had to be helped to his feet, still trembling. The angel says, “Do not be afraid.” Sound familiar? (See yesterday’s blog)

But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” Jude 9

     Michael was, earlier in history, fighting with the devil over the body of Moses. Notice the words, “the archangel Michael.” Michael may be the only archangel. The name Michael means, “like God.” The term archangel means “high-ranking angel.”

     In the book of Revelation we find Michael front and center in the final battle with the dragon (the devil) and his angels. Here again, we see angels are immortal. Michael is there at the time of Moses, at the time of Daniel, and will be a part of the final battle yet to come, at least 2500 years later.

Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back.  Revelation 12:2

     The archangel’s voice is heard at the final trumpet call of the Lord. (1 Thessalonians 4:16)

     Michael, the Lord’s archangel, is fighting the demonic angels and the devil on behalf of God’s people. He is called “the great prince who protects your people” (Daniel 12:1) or Israel.  He fought the king of Persia. It sounds as if God’s angels and Satan’s angels have specific territories doesn’t it?

     Did these first glances at angels in the Bible whets your appetite for more? Tomorrow we will read the Scripture verses having to do with seraphim and cherubim. The descriptions we will read will leave you with mouth-dropping awe!

Dear Father in heaven,
We know the end of the story when there will be a new heaven and a new earth. Your purposes are being played out on earth and in heaven right now. Everything will be resolved in Your timing. We trust you. Thank you for Your Word and Your love. They never fail.
Amen   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment