Friday, July 12, 2013

The Fruit of Faith

     I love the fruits of summer; the colors, sweet taste and mouth-watering goodness of fresh strawberries, cantaloupe and watermelon. To produce those luscious, ripe fruits on the vine it takes good healthy soil, a strong root system, water, sunlight and a patient gardener.

This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.  John 15:8

    What does it mean for us, as Christians, to “bear much fruit?” Others will recognize us as His disciples by our fruit. For us to bear much fruit we need a deep root system, a system leading to a strong and healthy vine.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”  John 15:5

    We need the living water of the Word of God and the light of the Son.

“Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”  John 7:38

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  John 8:12

     We have an extremely patient gardener. He tends to us, removes those branches that are not healthy and prunes us to bear more fruit.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit He prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.”  John 1:1-2

     These verses provide a beautiful Word picture for us of a loving gardener, working with us over time to produce that fruit that is irresistible. On Monday we will begin to look at the fruit of the Spirit. What is it exactly? What does it look like and how does it develop into ripe and mature fruit?

     In the meantime abide in Him, remain in the true vine. Remember yesterday we talked about freedom in faith? Take another deep sigh of relief. The Gardener does all of the work. If we remain in Him, he produces the fruit. He is the healthy vine. Let’s grow our roots deep.

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for tending to our hearts. You plant the seeds of this healthy fruit the minute we call you “Lord.” Help us to grow into fruitful disciples for You.
We love You.

Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment