Wednesday, January 14, 2015

When We Are Sad

     King David wears his heart on his sleeve. We see him falling in love and committing great sin because of it. He cries out for forgiveness. Another time, with his enemies surrounding him, we understand his great fear. And, like us, there were days he did not understand his deep anguish and sadness.

Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so distraught within me? Psalm 42:5a

    Through it all, his faith in God remains. In fact the Bible calls him, “a man after God’s own heart.” We can learn from this man after God's own heart. He is not shy about pouring his heart out to God. Throughout the Psalms he moves through his life seeking God, praising God and loving God. In the second half of the verse above, even with his downcast soul, he continues:

Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. Psalm 42:5b

    If great sadness surrounds you today, cry out to God. And yearn for his presence. Read these beautiful words that begin this Psalm.

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? Psalm 42:1-2

Jesus,
We yearn for the living water of Your grace. Even through the times our souls are downcast within us, You will be there. Hear our cries for help today. Hear our voices filled with sadness. You hear us and we praise You, our Lord.

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment