Monday, December 30, 2019

New Year, Newly Devoted


     Another year is about to begin. There is something hopeful about turning the page, starting anew, pondering the year ahead of us. Are you waiting for something? Making a resolution or two? Praying for transformation?

     I gave up resolutions years ago. Invariably, they would be set aside after a week or two, often with no recollection of what I had resolved in the first place. A few years back my cousin gave me the idea of selecting a word of the year. This tradition has made a difference to me, as I decide, with God’s help, where to place my focus and heart and how the Holy Spirit can help.

     Without planning, the first two years began with an “A word,” followed by “B.” In 2017 my word of the year was “authentic.” I wanted to be truly myself wherever God took me, in every and all situations. In 2018, the word chosen was “beginning.” That particular year, our oldest daughter became engaged, our youngest daughter became pregnant, my husband was newly retired and we took care for our grandchild full time.  Talk about beginnings!

     From there, I continued the alphabetical theme. Last year the word was “content.” This word came to mind after witnessing my almost 90-year-old neighbor, Phyllis. She has weakened considerably over the last couple of years, both in mind and body. This dear friend of mine is always upbeat and content. The Bible verse that reminds me of her is found in 1 Timothy 6:6. But godliness with contentment is great gain. Godly and content. I want to grow up to be just like Phyllis.

     Being content with whatever life brings can only come through Jesus. This year’s word is “devoted.” The word is described as being loyal, faithful, true, steadfast, dedicated, devout, loving, affectionate, caring.

     All words that describe Jesus. As we draw closer to Him and His word, more devoted to Him, the Bible promises us that we will be made more and more into His image, drawing in more and more of His light. What a gift it is to be be devoted to Jesus.

And we all, who with unveiled faces, contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into His image, with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 3:18

     Devoted to Christ. Devoted to family. Devoted to friends. Devoted to study. Devoted to what is most valuable in life.

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12:10

Father,

Let this year be devoted to You, to become more and more like Jesus, to listen, read and meditate on Your Word and to shine with the light of Christ to the world around us.

Amen



See you back here on January 6th. Happy New Year!  I will be praying for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment