Friday, September 18, 2020

A Free Spirit

 

     Did you grow up in church? I did. Every Sunday we would use part of Psalm 51 as a doxology, as a blessing. Maybe you recognize the words. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I realized these words came straight from the Bible.

Create in me a clean heart O’ God and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Your presence and take not Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy or Your salvation and uphold me with Your free spirit. Psalm 51:10-12

     I did not comprehend the depth of these words or the joy of my salvation until I was well into my 30’s. Knowing Jesus, knowing we need not fear death, understanding His presence, gives us the ability to let our souls and spirits be truly free. That freedom gives us confidence in the choices we make. It gives us the ability to abide in His peace and joy. Listen to these words from another Psalm and do not be shaken.

I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore, my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices. My body will also rest secure because You will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will You let Your faithful one see decay. You make known to me the path of life. You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand. Psalm 16:8-11

     Eternity awaits. In the meantime, rest in His presence. Soar free in His Spirit.

Lord,

We thank You for the words that guide us, for the depth of what it means to follow Jesus. Keep our focus on Him.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment