Monday, October 9, 2023

Favorites

 

     Like you, I have my favorites in life. My favorite husband, my favorite ice cream, my favorite time of the year. When it comes to Scripture, I could never choose just one! Come to think of it, I feel the same way about ice cream.

     I have been reminiscing this week about the various people I have met through ministry and the wisdom and valuable lessons I have learned. This week I want to share some favorite Scriptures and the stories behind them. I bet you have a few of your own.

     I trained to become a one-on-one care minister in 1994 and became a Stephen Minister. When I met my first care receiver, I barely knew one Scripture from another. God knew that and paired me up with a delightful woman. She remained peaceful and joy-filled until her death 2 years later.

     Somehow, as she lay in her hospice bed, she continued to put others first. For a whole year she lay there, in her dining, room, bird feeder hung just outside the window with various angel ornaments hung and strung around her.

     The Scripture verses she memorized and counted on, day after day, come from Psalm 121. I am sure you have heard it.

I lift up my eyes to the hills-from where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip-He who watches over you will not slumber. Indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you-the Lord is your shade at your right hand. The sun will not harm you by day nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm-He will watch over your life. The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalm 121

     Such precious words. I can still hear her saying them and counting on them and anticipating her arrival in heaven. She called me the night before she died. Her voice clear and calm as always. “It won’t be long now,” she said. “But don’t worry about me. I will be at a party with Jesus. I love you.”

Father,

Help us to take these words of Yours into our hearts. You are with us both now and forevermore. Thank you for sharing this wonderful woman with me, I anticipate the party with both of you one day

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment