Monday, January 22, 2024

Friends

 

A friend loves at all times…Proverbs 17:17a

    Do you have good friends? Maybe a sibling or a life-long buddy, a new acquaintance that gets you. Friends should be treasured and I sure treasure mine.  It’s my bestie’s birthday today. It’s mind-boggling to me that we have been friends for over sixty-five years. Needless to say, we have a million memories. Shelly lived across the alley and three doors down. Her mom, Dorothy, loved to remind me, I was the last to be potty trained. My mom would stand by our garage and watch me toddle down the alley to meet Dorothy and Shelly, with my diaper hanging below my dress.

     Too many laughs to count, along with some tears. Grade school, junior high with our first crushes, high school shenanigans with friends, marriages, kids, the list goes on. Shelly would meet her true love right there in the catalog department at Sears where we started our very first jobs.  

     I am so grateful she knew both of my parents. My dad died when I was 14, my mom when I was 31.  How wonderful to be able to relive some moments few remember.

      I was honored to speak at her mom’s funeral as well as her husbands. Yes, her beloved, Steve,  left us way too soon. She remains optimistic, full of life and laughs and I admire her so much. Treasure your friends. Relive memories and savor the new ones. Happy birthday Shelly!  I love you.

     God values friendship. A good friend doesn’t necessarily have all of the answers. Often it is a listening ear, a hug, an understanding heart with no judgment. They bring the fragrance of life.

Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart and the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice. Proverbs 27:9

Father,

Give us good friends to love and to love us back. Give us friends with wisdom and the heartfelt advice You provide. We bring our thankfulness to You.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment