Thursday, August 7, 2014

Graciousness

     The reason I asked God for more graciousness leads me to a confession. Does God ever put something right in front of you over and over? You hear a Scripture a few times. Other people are put in front of you as an example. Both happened to me this week.

     First of all I witnessed what true graciousness looks like in the lives of two pastors. One, the friend I spoke of earlier this week. The other passed away on Friday at the age of 88. As his funeral service began, behind the casket walked his wife of 67 years followed by their five children and spouses, their 21 grandchildren and spouses and their 21 great-grandchildren. Wow! The words the children and grandkids spoke were filled with love and gratitude for a gracious man; loving, kind, patient and most of all, a servant of Jesus. He left a heritage behind him. He sacrificed, he served, he loved, all with a twinkle in his eye. Gracious living towards everyone leaves a legacy.

     I blew an opportunity to be gracious this week. I have what I call, and maybe you have heard the term, my “sandpaper” person. My stomach turns to knots when I speak to her. I always feel put down, let down, less than, and that I don’t measure up after I speak with her. This time, I became a bit mean spirited. I said a couple of things that came out of nowhere and to be honest, I felt a bit proud of myself. It felt good.

     And my Father in heaven checked my spirit.  I felt and maybe heard, “What did you just do, child?” Now, I hope you see God as your loving Father. He sees you as a beloved child no matter your age. And just as any loving father would do, He disciplines. He chastises. He improves us. And He has His work cut out with me! I asked His forgiveness and I recognized the fact that I had responded in the way that makes me feel bad about myself. And I wanted to hurt back.

And what does Jesus ask of us?

But I tell you, love your enemies, and pray for them who persecute you.  Matthew 5:44

     The Holy Spirit convicted me. God never condemns. He only changes us for our own good. And, I prayed for my “sandpaper” person, through gritted teeth, yes. (This is a confession) The prayer released me from guilt and next time, (please Lord) I will wait for the Holy Spirit instead of lashing back on my own. My loving Father asks me to do just that.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the examples of gracious living and the difference graciousness can make in the lives of others. Forgive me for my harsh words and the times I want to hurt and pay back evil for evil. You ask us, instead, to love, to see the need and the hurt within others and to offer Your love, Your gracious, compassionate and abounding love.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment