Friday, April 20, 2018

Gratitude and Joy


     Gratitude and joy. Jesus faced the cross with the joy set before Him. As He moved into Jerusalem understanding what was to come, He set His face towards the goal.

Now it came to pass when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem. Luke 9:51

     Jesus knew what was about to take place. He set His face steadfastly. Other versions use the word, “resolutely”. Have you had struggles to face? We know the feeling of having to go through something so deep and so traumatic, we just set our face and do the best we can. Jesus understands. In fact, the prophet Isaiah wrote about Jesus hundreds of years earlier. Listen to these words about the coming Redeemer.

I offered my back to those who beat Me, my cheek to those who pulled out My beard; I did not hide My face from mocking and spitting. Because the Sovereign Lord helps Me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore, I have set my face like flint and I know I will not be put to shame. Isaiah 50:6-7

     Flint is a hard, sedimentary rock. When struck against steel, a spark ignites. Jesus knew the difficulties about to strike Him and He set His face like flint, resolutely, steadfastly. The cost, many times, is worth the pain. Have you come through a difficult time and gained something more valuable? Wisdom, personal change, a deep spiritual joy, an abiding faith?

     Jesus helps us to set our faces as we move against our struggles, with the joy set before us. He is our joy and our home. Let’s move steadfastly, resolutely towards Him.

Jesus,

One day soon, we will be with You forever. Guide us through the tough times and bring us out with new purpose and joy. We thank You with grateful hearts this week, for all You have done, for all You will do.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment