Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Storytime/Cracked Pots


     Here is another story you may have heard. I have used it in Bible studies and at women’s retreats over the years. I love it. It’s about a cracked pot, like me and like you! Did you know God uses our cracks? The cracks allow His beauty and light to shine through.

     In ancient times there lived a water bearer serving the King. Each morning he traveled one mile to the well to draw water and one mile back to the King’s summer home. The pole across his shoulders was heavy, with a large ceramic pot on each end.

     One of the pots had a large crack running down one side and, each and every day, as they arrived back at the home of the King, the cracked pot would be half-full. One day the cracked pot needed to speak. (yes, in this story the pot can talk)

     “Sir,” he said quietly. “Why do you continue to carry me each day, when I am not able to perform my duties? This crack does not allow me to hold water in the way I was intended to be used.”

     The water bearer smiled sweetly on the way to the well.

     “As we head back to the King’s home, look at your side of the path. You will see many beautiful flowers along the way. A long time ago, I noticed the crack along your side. I planted flower seeds along the entire path. The Master has a beautiful view and flowers for his table, all thanks to you!”

Yet You, Lord, are our Father. We are the clay, You are the potter. We are all the work of Your hand. Isaiah 64:8

     How about you? Do you consider yourself to be filled with cracks? Yeah, me too. God sees beauty in weakness. He understands our deepest fear and our deepest anxiety. He will work with our weaknesses in ways we could never imagine. He will use them to change lives, to build our confidence in Him, to allow Him to take us on unfamiliar paths to show His glory. This is what He will do.

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them. I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do. I will not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16

Lord,

Thank You for loving cracked pots like us. You use our frail and weak parts to show Your strength. Find beauty in those hurting today. Shine light through those dark cracks and bring glory to Yourself through them.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment