Thursday, April 26, 2018

Storytime/Holy Ground


     Our daughter’s love for the group, Hanson, began when she was about 9 years old. She adores them to this day. There was a resemblance between her and the youngest brother in the band and, at the time, she had dreams of joining the group. I have been to three concerts with her over the years. (none of her friends are as enthused about this group, and mom is always ready to be that last resort😊)

     One such concert happened to fall on her birthday and took place at the Minnesota State Fair. A never-to-be-forgotten memory, as the brothers were available after the concert to sign autographs.

     Another of the concerts took place at First Avenue in downtown Minneapolis. Little did I know there would be no seats. Standing for hours in the shoes I had chosen would be no picnic for this fifty-something-year-old mother. But God works in mysterious ways.

     That particular week I had studied the subject of holy ground in Scripture. If you remember the story, Moses had to take off his sandals as he stood in the presence of the Lord. The presence of the Lord was found high on the mountain and Moses appeared radiant as he arrived down the mountain to share with the Israelites.

     My mind, at this concert, was filled with self-pity. Would it ever end? I did like the group, but my aching feet were about to give out and the pain was taking precedence over the music. Just at that moment of self-focus, I looked at my radiant daughter, singing the songs of her youth. It just so happened this particular concert was filled with the songs from her favorite CD.

     Her smile lit up her face. I was reminded that, unlike Moses, we do not need to climb a mountain or go to a particular place to meet God. His presence is within us and around us. We take our holy ground with us wherever we go. I slipped off one shoe and wiggled my toes a bit. “Ahh, yes, holy ground.” The smile on Angela’s face is still a priceless memory.

“Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” Exodus 3:5

Father God,

Remind us of the holy ground beneath us as we take You with us wherever we go. You teach us lessons along the way as we listen to Your Holy Spirit. Teach us Your ways.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment