Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Lessons In Faithfulness


     My neighbor, Phyllis, will be 88 years old this year. She and I and another friend have met each week for prayer and Bible study for almost 20 years. In addition to our weekly visits, she drove me, faithfully, to the Bible study I facilitated for almost ten years. I cannot overstate the way she has mentored, loved and brought wisdom to my life.

     Her husband was ill and died at a young age. She needed to work with four young daughters and became a retail manager at Montgomery Wards for many years. Her faith and witness never waned over the years of hardship. With the beginning stages of dementia now upon her, she is still loving, funny and content.

     Connie and I visit her each Wednesday. She doesn’t say much, but once in a while, she will come out with a witty comment and we all giggle like school girls. She has been, and continues to be, the one to end our circle of prayer, and her words come directly from the Holy Spirit.

     Her prayers begin and end with praise for Jesus, and contain thanksgiving for her friends and for her family, for the beauty of nature, for our country and for the Bible. Her prayers are so beautiful, they resound in my mind through the week. What a testimony to the faithfulness of our God and how His love continues through our struggles and even within an aging mind. I am more than blessed to have this woman in my life and in awe of God’s presence in all of our lives.

For what You have done, I will always praise You in the presence of Your faithful people, for Your name is good. Psalm 52:9

All Your works praise You, Lord. Your faithful people extol You. Psalm 145:10

She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue. Proverbs 31:26

Jesus,

Blessed are those who love You and remain faithful servants throughout their lives. I thank You for Phyllis and others like her, willing to share Your love with wisdom, strength and faithfulness. Bless her today.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment