Thursday, January 31, 2019

Testimonies/Marcia


     I visited with Marcia for over six years. When our pastor first told me about her, she was expected to live only another year or two. She had other ideas. Over the years, she would move from a lovely house, to a townhouse, to assisted living and finally to a nursing home.

     She lost what the world views as most valuable, her possessions and her health. Her lungs no longer took in much air. Her heart was failing. Her eyes no longer took in light. Even then, she breathed softly the words of Christ. Her heart shone with His love. Her eyes continued to light up the room.

     What a testimony she offered to those who loved her. As a Stephen minister, I was called to walk one-on-one with those in need. Somehow, Marcia was the one who brought blessings to my life. Jesus does that. Works through weakness to show His strength.

     Our pastor called Marcia an “other” woman.  She put others first, never wanting to dwell on what she was suffering. She would say, “Well, that’s enough about me. How are you/ Tell me everything!”

     One of my sweetest memories came as I visited Marcia in hospice, along with her life-long friends, all over the age of 80. Their kids grew up together. They attended the same church for over fifty years together. Book clubs and knitting were a part of their shared history.

     I sat off to the side as her friends gathered around her bed and sang one beloved hymn after the other to their friend. It was as if angels were surrounding her bed. Moments never to be forgotten for me.

     Has God brought people into your life like Marcia? Her testimony remains a part of my life and I can’t wait to see that smiling face again in heaven one day. I’m sure she will sit me down and say, “How are you? Tell me everything!”

Therefore, we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us a glory that far outweighs them all. 2 Corinthians 4:16-17

Father,

This life can be filled with suffering. Marcia exemplified the verses above. Inwardly, she was being renewed day by day by Your Spirit. And she now resides in glory, with no more pain and suffering. We praise You.

In Jesus name,

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment