Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Our Thorns

 

     As we savor our moments and appreciate where we are in life, we recognize and remember the tough times we had or will experience in this crazy life. Each stage has its ups and downs, its sorrows and joys, and times of living with a constant, “thorn in our side.”

     Our babies get sick, suffer ear infections. There are hospital stays. Our adolescence is filled with awkwardness, with bullies, with emotional roller-coasters. There are dissolved relationships, loss of jobs, death of loved ones. You have your list of heartaches and so do I.

     I live with diminished eyesight on a daily basis, due to an eye disease called retinitis pigmentosa. God has been faithful and worked in wonderful ways using this for His glory. Several friends live in constant, chronic pain, others with difficult relationships and stress, still others in treatment for cancer. Did you know the apostle Paul lived with a “thorn in his side?”

     Three times he prayed for this thorn to be removed. Each time his request was denied. Theologians have grappled with this thorn. Was it living with persecution, with a chronic health issue? I believe the answer was purposefully left out, so each of us could identify with him.

     My personal belief is that he lived with diminished eyesight like me. There are two verses that speak to me in this belief. A group of friends in Galatia have nursed Paul through an illness. He has preached the Gospel to them. As he warns them about being led astray, he remembers.

Where, then, is your blessing of me now? I can testify, that if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. Galatians 4:15

     Paul also makes mention of his large handwriting. (Like mine!)

See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! Galatians 6:11

     There are conflicting views on the verse above. I choose to go with the theory that Paul’s eyesight caused him to print in large letters. Can you relate to living with a “thorn in your side?” God can use all of our thorns, our suffering, our daily struggles to rely on His strength, to develop compassion, to teach and to encourage. How is he using you? Listen to Paul’s answer as his third prayer for healing is denied.

Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:8-9

     May God’s power rest on you today, as you struggle with any weakness or thorn. May His grace be sufficient for you right now.

Lord,

There are no words to thank You for the blessings you bring even through our darkest moments, our deepest struggles, our thorns, our tough times. Your grace is always enough.

In Jesus name,

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment