Thursday, March 7, 2024

Into Old Age

 

     At a block party years ago, a young boy about 5, looked at an elderly neighbor and said, “You got old, didn’t you?”  She took the words well and smiled at him and said, “Well, yes, I sure did!”

     Not everyone will reach a ripe, old age. We all dream of living a healthy life into our 90’s and dying in our sleep. It doesn’t usually happen that way. For those of us who will reach old age as believers, God will continue to watch over us. He even loves our gray hair.

Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness. Proverbs 16”31

     A crown of splendor. Isn’t that great? I recently allowed my hair to go gray.  I need this verse. If we are blessed enough to live into old age, God promises to take care of us.

Even to your old age and gray hairs, I am He. I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you. I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4

     How do we remain strong and bear good fruit into old age? I believe the following verses will give us instruction and promise.

But whose delight is in the law of the Lord and who meditates on the law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither-whatever they do prospers. Psalm 1;2-3

     Staying strong, bearing fruit in the last season of life comes from delighting ourselves in the word of God. His instructions are life-giving with streams of living water to quench our thirst, to give us renewed strength, to keep giving glory to God. May many of us be blessed with old age. He is in charge of our beginnings and our end on earth into eternity.

The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalm 121:8

Lord,

We praise You for the older men and women of faith, planted like living trees among us, teaching us great wisdom in following You. Keep us firmly rooted in the vine of life. It is Jesus, minute by minute, day by day, season by season.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment