Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Honor in Humility

     The first time I really sought out God I was on my knees. It was a time of deep grief, confounding disbelief and overwhelming doubt. I fell to my knees, because I had nowhere else to go. When I hear of a loss, or a prayer request, a tragedy, or of someone’s suffering, my first prayer now, in addition to asking God for healing or comfort or peace is to ask that the person gets to know Jesus.

     Going to our knees is not always a choice. Sometimes it becomes the only place left. For me, after all of these years, it is the place I choose. There is nothing in the entire world better than being in the holy presence of God. Humility comes by recognizing who God is and how much we need Him. Our education director reminded us on Sunday, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It is thinking of yourself less.”

     Do you remember what happens after we become filled with pride?

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.  Proverbs 18:18

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.  Proverbs 11:2

     When we fall or stumble, our merciful God has an answer for that, too.

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up.  James 4:10

     Our guest pastor last week had a wonderful message on humility. On the one hand, we can become puffed up with pride, saying, “Look what I did! I did an amazing job! I am wonderful!” Or, on the other hand, we can get to a place where we say, “I can’t do anything right. What is wrong with me? I am worthless.”

     The pastor reminded us that both of these attitudes are lies from our enemy, satan. And then he said something profound. He said both attitudes are self-focused. With God’s help, we take the focus off of ourselves and put our eyes on Him and on others. That is all He asks of us. If is our purpose, it is our call.. Serving God and serving others. Everything is upside down in God’s world. First is last, the least is the greatest.

Then He said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me and whoever welcomes me welcomes the One who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.” Luke 9:48

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.  Romans 12:10

    Impossible on our own? Yes. Possible with the One who lifts us up and sends us out? Yes! This magnificent God of ours came to earth and became a servant to all. The God who created the universe washed His disciples feet.

Dear Lord,
Give us humble hearts today. Take our focus off of ourselves and allow us to lift others up in Your name. We can do it with You!
In Jesus Name,
Amen

     

No comments:

Post a Comment