Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Perfect Timing

     Jeff was my friend back in the early 70’s. He was an athlete. He was smart. He was funny. A group of athletes from his high school became involved in Young Life, due to the work of a young pastor. This pastor met these young men and women right where they were. They came to know Jesus, and they were changed, all of them, including Jeff.

     At some point over the years Jeff lost his way. I heard about him through the grapevine and saw him once or twice over the decades. As we moved into our early forties, I heard he was sick, due to liver failure. The alcohol on the path he chose caught up with him way too soon.

     I spoke with his brother a couple of times and said a quick prayer here and there for Jeff. Our family, in January of 2004, was living in a small rented townhouse because of a house fire that destroyed our home with black soot-filled smoke. It was a difficult seven months to say the least, with inventories, finding ways to comfort our young adolescent daughters, and working with a construction company that left much to be desired in doing things in the right way.

    One day, I needed a break from listing each and every treasured possession we had lost. I went for a walk to clear my head. When I walked in the door of our small, empty temporary home I dropped to my knees in prayer for Jeff. I can’t explain it. It has only happened to me a couple of times. But deep grief, tears, moaning and groaning through the Holy Spirit poured from me for almost two hours. I don’t know what was going on with Jeff, but I knew God was at work through me and others on his behalf.

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.  Romans 8:26

     A few months later, I sent Jeff a card along with some old pictures. His brother had told me that Jeff was having trouble forgiving himself and he was not allowing himself to die, even though the time was near. I knew that even though Jeff had temporarily walked away from Him, Jesus had never left his side. He had been forgiven before anything was done and he just needed to forgive himself. I told him the memories with him were fond ones and I prayed he would find peace and accept forgiveness.

     His brother told me this card was on the side of his bed when he died. This must be a week for tears. I am astounded at the moving of the Holy Spirit within our lives. God asks us to move out of our comfort zones, and He asks us to help others in the midst of our own suffering. In fact, that may be one of the ways we come out of our times of suffering, by reaching out, not only to lean on others, but to bless them.

     Is the Spirit prompting you today to pray, to send a card, to make a phone call, to speak with a troubled neighbor even when it’s inconvenient? Is it time to stop in our busy lives, and drop to our knees in prayer for someone and respond to the Holy Spirit above the details in our lives? We couldn’t do it on our own.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.  2 Corinthians 1:3-4

     Jeff remained a child of God. Jesus was using Jeff even during these years of self condemnation. Jeff is missed. He is in heaven. One day we will see his crooked grin and those big blue eyes savoring the peace and joy of heaven.

Jesus,
It is impossible to comprehend Your timing, Your love and Your fore knowledge of what is needed. Guide us to do what you ask without question, even when it is inconvenient or seemingly impossible. Give us Your comfort so we can comfort others. It is all about You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment