Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Worth in Weakness

     A water bearer living long ago walked to a well each morning to gather water for his master’s house. He hung a long pole across his neck with a pot on either end. One of the pots was perfect in every way. Over the years this perfect pot was becoming puffed up with pride, congratulating himself on a job well done. The other pot, the one with the cracks, was growing more and more humiliated over time.
  
     One day the cracked pot spoke up, “Sir, why do you continue to use me? With my large cracks, I am only half full of water by the time we reach the master’s house.” The water bearer looked at the cracked pot with kindness and compassion and said, “I knew you before I placed you on the end of my pole for the very first time. I planted seeds along the way. Notice the wide array of flowers on your side of the path. You have faithfully watered them and now the master has a beautiful view and fresh flowers for his table.” (Author Unknown)

     Isn’t this a beautiful story? And aren’t we all cracked pots? God uses our weaknesses and our flaws to show His glory. Through our weaknesses He is made strong.

But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

     When we fall to pieces, when we accept our flaws, God begins to work. He is the potter. He just may leave a crack or two in place. The cracks just allow His light to shine through. When other people see what you are doing, they will say, “How can he/she do that?” And the only answer will be, “It’s not me. It’s God. It’s Jesus at work.”  The perfect place to start with Christ is admitting our weaknesses to Him. He is ready to make all of those dents and dings and holes and cracks work for Him. Our tests become our testimonies. Our messes become our messages.

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 2 Corinthians 4:7

     God chose me and He chose you. He chooses the cracked pots, the jars ready for the potter’s hand, the weak and the foolish ones to show Him off.

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise. God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.  1 Corinthians 1:27

     Well, you cracked pots, you foolish and weak things, let’s go show off our new jars of clay, the ones with the light shining through. Let’s confound some of those perfect pots. We have an amazing God.

Dear Father in Heaven,
Only You can bring such beauty to these cracked jars of clay. Fill us with Your confidence as You create something beautiful out of our weakest parts. Create new treasures in these jars of clay. We can do it with Jesus.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment