Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Into Old Age


     My uncle, Paul, (age 90) and my aunt, Mary Ellen, (age 89) have been and continue to be an inspiration. They live in Portland, OR and I may not see them again this side of heaven, but their faith in Jesus has been a constant in my life since I was a small child. My uncle has a perpetual smile and a twinkle in his eye. They swim and walk daily and keep their minds active as well.

     In their current senior high-rise, they have several friends over 100 years old and the person they call their “Sunday school teacher” is 96! Don’t we all long to be active and serving God to a ripe old age. The first three verses in the Psalms always come to mind when I think of my older friends and relatives, especially the ones who acknowledge and serve Jesus as Lord and Savior. They are well-nourished and strong.

Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord and who meditates on His law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither-whatever they do prospers. Psalm 1:1-3

Lord,

Let it be said of us as we age that we serve and love You, that we can remain strong in season, like a tree that does not wither. What beautiful words. Help us to tell the aging people in our lives that they matter, that they inspire, that their wisdom teaches so much.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment