Monday, October 1, 2018

Lament and Praise


     My father-in-law saw the signs of early dementia in my mother-in-law long before we did. After she broke her hip, he realized he couldn’t take care of her anymore. He visited her each day at the nursing home, teaching us, along the way, so much about deep love and about remaining positive, as he continued to share wisdom in his role as a great dad, father-in-law and grandpa.

     God’s mercies continued for all of us through those difficult days. Perseverance builds character and character, hope.

Not only so, but we glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character and character, hope Romans 5:3-4

     These verses in the book of Lamentations spoke to me of all that my mother-in-law was suffering throughout those days.  The Bible always meets us exactly where we are.

He has made my skin and my flesh grow old and has broken my bones. He has besieged me and surrounded me with bitterness and hardship. Lamentations 3:4-5

     As the words continue on through this chapter in lament, we remember the Lord’s love, His compassion and His faithfulness.

Yet this I call to mind and therefore, I have hope. Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:21-23

     When the tough times come, remind yourself of just this. He will show mercy through it all. His compassion, His faithfulness and His everlasting love will never fail. 

Father,

Life can become so difficult when our lives turn upside down and inside out. Yet you remain steadfast. Always lead us back to hope and back to You.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment