Thursday, November 8, 2018

Discipline and Discipleship


     This week we are talking about God’s discipline, the ways He challenges us through the Words of Scripture and through prayer and through experience.  He also teaches us through others. I have learned so many valuable lessons from my brothers and sisters in the faith. And God has a sense of humor, too!

     I remember being overwhelmed when it was my year to serve Thanksgiving dinner. Full disclosure, another spiritual gift that has not been given to me is the gift of hospitality. I marvel at those who love to entertain, whose door is always open to others, and miraculously, seem to have food available to serve at any time!

     Even though we have unique spiritual gifts and personality types, God does ask us to move out of our comfort zones from time to time. I was worrying and grumbling and, as God often does, two Scriptures just “happened” to be in front of me during that time. 

Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Romans 12:13

Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 1 Peter 4:9

     Well, that stopped me in my tracks and my irritable mood. “Practice hospitality,” and “without grumbling,” spoke to my heart. I made it through  with a changed attitude and a heart to serve..

     Understanding what God’s will is can guide us into the most difficult of tasks, even the ones that don’t necessarily fit with grace and, yes, humor.

Lord,

Grumbling about my lack doesn’t help anything. Keep us filled with positive attitudes and humor as we struggle with so much. The struggles are often unnecessary. You change our thoughts and our abilities to move ahead in Your plans.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment