Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Celebrating His Name

     Do you have a nickname? Do you remember your mom or dad or your friends calling you something other than your given name? My husband is the love of my life. Now, believe me, over twenty-six years of marriage there have been several other names we have given each other. Even in the times of irritation or disagreement, I know he is and will always be the love of my life. A relationship has been built, a history of trust and shared memories.

     The Bible is filled with the names of our Triune God. He is Almighty, the Good Shepherd, the Prince of Peace, the Lion of Judah, the Lamb of God, the Alpha and Omega. He is our strength, our song, our salvation, our Savior. Do you have a favorite?

When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  John 8:12

     When I was growing up, my mom called me the light of her life and the sunshine of her life. I think that is why the term “light of life” goes straight to my heart. I hope our two daughters will have a smile on their faces for as long as they live remembering, Peanut, Peno, Sweet-pea girl, Petula Poppers, Ladybug, Baby Doll and Lulu.

    
     If you didn’t grow up in a family able to give unconditional love, or you have lost someone you have loved deeply, God can fill in those gaps. He loves you beyond measure and one day in heaven, He will give each of us a new name, made just for us, from a loving father.

     Remember the name of Jesus is above every other name given on earth. His name is to be used in awe and reverence and holiness. Let His name mean something to you. Call on the Shepherd to guide you, the Counselor to comfort you, the Prince of Peace to solve a family disagreement, the Savior to help you forgive someone or our friend to listen to everything on your heart. No matter the need, He will meet it.

Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.  Philippians 2:9-11

Dear Lord,
Your name is powerful. Let us use it wisely in praise and worship, in prayer and reverence. Teach us to treat each other in kindness and love and to lift up and encourage our loved ones with a sweet and gentle spirit. With Your name on our hearts, we can do it. We celebrate the name of Jesus.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment