Monday, May 5, 2014

The Bitter and The Sweet

     The bitter and the sweet go hand in hand. This time of the year for me is just that. Celebrating my wedding anniversary brings joy. It was one of the happiest days of my life, but also one of the saddest. My mom became very sick that very week and died the day after our wedding. May 2nd and May 3rd. The deep hole of loss I felt during the first days and years after her death have shrunk, but the pangs of loss still hit. I miss her.    

     Our daughters have grown into beautiful, hard-working young adults. We are so proud of them. Both have found their guys and our baby will be graduating from college in two weeks and getting married next year. They bring us such sweetness and joy. But there are those pangs again, of letting go. It is a new season, a transition, changes, bitter and sweet, joy and sadness, holding on and letting go, the days of our lives.

     We are God’s. He knows the number of our days. He gave us wonderful children to raise and love and He gave me a wonderful mom and dad, even if for a time much shorter than I would have wished. The bitter and the sweet. Holding on and letting go. Savoring the sweet and allowing Him to take away the bitter.

Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again, from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up.   Psalm 71:70

Dear Jesus,
We thank You this morning for those You give us to love. The seasons of our lives bring change. Give us the ability to savor the sights, sounds and flavors of each one as we hold on and let go. Keep our hearts grateful and looking ahead to the days to come. With You we find true joy and peace through it all.
Amen


     

No comments:

Post a Comment