Thursday, July 10, 2014

Remember

Even with our different personalities and minor differences, my husband is my true love, my best friend, my protector and provider. I wrote this as we grieved the loss of his mom.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 2 Corinthians 1: 3 – 4

My hands moved in frustration as we sorted through the bills yesterday. We spoke of high cell-phone bills, too-high shopping bills for me and our teenage daughters and a vacation coming soon. My hands gestured as I spoke, justifying the shopping as his moved in slow motion fingering each page with tightly clenched fingers.

This morning his hand reached to shut yet another cupboard door and flip another light switch off in response to some of my most annoying habits. My hands are flighty and unfocused, ready for the next distraction. His hands move in focused concentration finishing one project accurately at a time.

Focused on a project, switching on a light, moving to a new room, clenched in frustration or gesturing to prove a point, our hands can point to a myriad of differences in our style and outlook. Yet, as I reach for his hand tonight, I feel comfort. There is union. There is recognition. There is comfort and deep love. We reach for each other as we grieve the loss of his mom. We reach for each other as we have for almost twenty years.

These hands have found each other and held each other through so much.  These same hands have lovingly held each other deep into the night. These hands have clasped simply a thousand times as we watch TV or go for a walk. These hands have cooked meals together, painted and stained wood together. They once held two candles that merged into one. These hands held joy as we welcomed our daughters into the world. These hands will find each other, as they always do, as we sorrow through this long night.

Dear God,
Thank you for the life of my mother-in-law, for her hands of love, creating quilts and food and kindness for all of us. And now I thank you for the hands of my husband. Let us draw comfort from one another, as we first draw comfort from You.
Amen

  

No comments:

Post a Comment