Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Remember

     We are honoring our parents this week as I share some writings from the past. If you weren’t lucky enough to have a loving home growing up, I pray you will find forgiveness and peace. Jesus can be the perfect and most loving parent and allow you to move on with healing and hope.

For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. 2 Corinthians 1:5

A Mother’s Grace

It is March of 1970. My dad died last week in his sleep of a heart attack. I miss him and I’m scared. The death is unexpected, as death always is. I snuggle close to my mom. It is just the two of us now. She falls asleep, an exhausted widow with a young teenager to raise. My voice echoes in my ears, in the emptiness, “Mom, I say, and then “Mom!” and finally, “MOM!” so afraid that she, too, will leave me in her sleep. Rising instantly, she takes me in her arms, and says, “It’s ok, honey, I’m here and I love you.”

It is May of 1987. My mom is dying. I cling to these moments, bold-faced, underlined moments, final moments. Most of the time I believe she is in the next world; a world she longs for and now prefers. Yet, in my selfish need, just as it was in 1970, I bring her back. “Mom,” I say, and then, “Mom!” and finally, “MOM!” Just as it was then, even now, she returns to me and says, “It’s ok honey, I’m here and I love you.”

It is June of 2002. I am the mom today. No one is dying. I am caught somewhere in the ordinary details of this extraordinary life. My daughter calls, “Mom!” and again, “Mom!” and finally, “MOM!”  I return as, of course, I must and say, "It’s ok honey, I’m here and I love you.”

And it is grace.

Dear Father,
Thank You for the gift of parents. When they go home to be with You, let us continue their legacy on earth. As we raise our own children, give us courage to raise them with wisdom and honor. And help us to comfort one another as You comfort us.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment