Friday, July 11, 2014

Remember

Honor your father and your mother as the Lord your God has commanded you that your days may be long and that it may be well with you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you. Deuteronomy 5:16A

A Little Behind, a Little Below

I’m not sure when it happened; when my dad and I traded spaces. He taught me everything I know. He taught me how to hold a hammer, how to fix a leaky pipe, how to tape, mud  and sand sheetrock, how to swing a golf club and how to value family. I always stood just a little behind and a little below him for most of my life.

He’s 90 now and I’m not sure when it happened. He came out to help me dismantle a fort in our backyard. My kids are grown now, too. The wood can be used for a more useful purpose. Reuse and recycle came naturally to my dad even before they became common place.

As we worked, he stood a little behind me, a little below me. He held the wood as I hammered. He stood apart as I did the physical labor. I’m not sure when it happened; when we traded spaces, he and I.  I don’t think I’m ready.

Dear Lord,
I am not ready to see my parents growing old. Walk with me through this season as I learn to come to their assistance as they have always been there for me. I thank you for every gift they have given me and for the life lessons they have taught me along the way. I honor them.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment