Wednesday, April 19, 2017

My Wife of 50 Years


For my wonderful, 92 year old father-in-law, Bert, one of my heroes.


“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

Matthew 11:28

     I can’t find her in the place where she lives, my wife of 50 years, even though I try. I bring her clothes, make sure she’s clean and listen to the words I no longer understand. I can’t stay away and I can’t stay long.

     I return to the home we shared, she and I, and there I find her, my wife of fifty years. I find her in the scent of the vanilla perfume sitting on the mirrored tray. I find her under the quilt she so lovingly made, and I find her in the brush I use on my fine white hair. The same brush she used each day trying to manage the hair that never stayed just right.

     Her hair is the one thing that brings a rare smile as I say, “Honey, your hair looks pretty today.”

     I guess when you worry and fuss about something over an entire lifetime you never forget, even in a mind almost gone. And so I chuckle a little and I sniff, and I snuggle and I brush trying to find her, my wife of 50 years.

Dear Father in Heaven,

Comfort me in this time. Help me remember all of the wonderful years past with my spouse. I know you understand her and you understand me. Keep  us both safe in your care. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment