Monday, April 3, 2017

The Power Of The Tongue


     Once the Holy Spirit moves into our hearts and souls and our bodies become His temple, things begin to change. As we deepen our love for Christ, gain knowledge of His mighty word and believe in His resurrection power, He begins to change us from the inside out. We may not notice the subtle changes for years. Luckily, He is patient! His enduring love stays with us, wherever we are, teaching and guiding us into new truths.

     Lately, God has been convicting me on the importance of our words, as we speak to ourselves and as we speak to others. When I think of the things I say, it is not always pretty. I get down on myself for doing stupid things. (Sound familiar?) I speak negatively about others or think about the annoying habits of others. Hard not to, right?

     There are numerous verses about the power of our tongues and we’ll focus on those this week. I need them and when the Holy Spirit asks us to move to a better place, I hope we will all listen.

The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Proverbs 18:21

     What? The power of life and death? Makes me want to think about what I say and how I say it. We have the power to speak words of love, encouragement, and kindness and, as we do, to think the best of others. We also have the choice to think ourselves better than others, to believe we have all the answers, to try to get even, or to speak negatively to or about others. Yikes!

Lord,

Help me, help us to do a better job of representing Your love and kindness even when we and others don’t seem to deserve it. Our tongues have great power to put down or to lift up. Please show us how to make the right choices.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment