Thursday, July 26, 2018

Stuck In Pergatory


     Our Bible study group had a discussion about the Catholic belief in a place called “purgatory” this week. It is not in the Bible, but, somehow, over the years the tradition has taken hold. They believe purgatory is a stop-off before heaven to do a final cleansing from sins before heaven.

       Directly after our discussion on purgatory, my husband and I took a drive to a lake my family visited often when I was young. On the way home, we found a place to walk, called, ironically enough, “Purgatory Park.” We walked merrily along the path and I was happy to see nice smooth trails, with just a few hills.

     We walked for a bit, crossed a bridge and stopped. My husband thought we should veer to the right. I thought to the left. We went right, and continued to walk and walk, finally ending up outside of the park in a residential area! My husband has a much better inner compass than mine and found a way back to civilization. He left me by the side of a busy intersection and went ahead to retrieve the car. (And I am sure enjoyed the peace and quiet away from my chatter about being lost.)

     As I waited for him to return, I had to laugh. Stuck in Purgatory! God has a great sense of humor. And I also thought of all of the people stuck without Jesus, moving merrily along in life, thinking they know what they are doing and where they are going.

     So many lost souls in need of a Savior. If you believe in Jesus, there is no holding place before heaven. Once we are absent from the body, we are present with the Lord.  (2 Corinthians 5:8) All you need is to believe that Jesus died and rose again for you and ask Him to be your Savior. He finished the work on the cross. No Penalty for sins. Forgiven, past, present and fufutre. Here are two verses to remind all of us. All it takes is faith!

If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:10

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves. It is a gift from God-not by works so that no man can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

     That’s it! By faith. Proclaim, “Jesus is Lord!” and be saved. There is nothing we can do to earn it. It is a gift of grace. Don’t be stuck on the path without Him! It is the most incredible gift ever given.

Lord,

We pray for those stuck in this life without You. What promises you offer. A life filled with Your love until we arrive to be with You forever, immediately at our death. Help us to reach the lost souls in need of You.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment