Monday, February 8, 2021

The Still Moments

 

     Our eight-month-old grandson, Grayson, never stops moving. We look forward to and have a fear of, the day he starts to walk!  As we hold him in our laps in a standing position, he twists as far as he can and looks over his shoulder to see what he is missing. He wants to play with whatever wonderful toy his brother has in his hands.

     He is almost ready to crawl. In the meantime, he rolls over, straining for anything and everything just out of his reach. He scoots backwards, loves to hang upside down, always looking for the next adventure. Sounds a bit like us.

     Sometimes we look over our shoulder to the past. Memories, wisdom acquired, wistful longings. At other times, we reach with passion, to a future yet unknown, with new beginnings and pictures yet unexperienced.

     Luckily, when Grayson is tired, he will lay his sweet head on my shoulder as I sing a lullaby and he falls asleep.  Our daughter knows he is too old to sleep in our laps, and wishes we would put him down for his naps. (which we do, sometimes).  But I understand, oh so well, the passage if time.

      I know these sweet moments will pass all too quickly. So, when our active, curious boy is tired, I pull him close, sniff those sweet baby smells and sigh. Soon, it will be just a memory. I will twist my head back and look for the moments that passed away all too soon.

     But for now, I stop, just where I am, and savor what is here, right now.

He says, “Be still and know that I am God…”  Psalm 46:10a

Lord,

Thank you for these gifts you have given us. Keep us reaching for what is ahead, savoring what is behind and resting in the quiet moments.  And we pray Grayson will never stop reaching for the stars, as He lets you guide.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment