Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Beware the Bitter Root

 

     Yesterday we gave up our worry, our anxiety as well as our small irritations to our Lord. I remember having a discussion with my niece some years ago. I responded to our conversation with the common phrase, “Don’t sweat the small stuff.”  She immediately replied, “The small stuff adds up.” So true, isn’t it? A day can start off routinely enough, until the small irritations begin to intrude. As we focus on the negative, on the constant noises keeping us away from peace, on the circumstances or the people that bring us down, we will be filled with unrest.

     Many years ago, before studying the Bible in earnest, my brother, sister-in-law and I had a falling out. The argument began innocently enough and slowly escalated as our opinions grew more one-sided and self-involved. This minor disagreement grew until we did not speak for several years. I can remember how it weighed on my heart, but I just knew I was right. I would dwell on their mistakes and have conversations in my head on what I wanted to say to them.

     Sound familiar? My brother was 22 years my senior, and luckily, we made up and enjoyed many more years of closeness before he died from a Parkinson-like disease over 15 years ago. The Bible warns against what we experienced. It is called a bitter root. Don’t let it take hold of your heart.

See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. Hebrews 12:15

Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Ephesians 4:31

     Easy to see the escalation in the Ephesians verse above. A bitter root can grow into slander, anger and even malice. Sounds a bit like our culture today. Jesus is the cure and He has some good advice in this next verse, again in the book of Ephesians.

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you. Ephesians 4:32

     Be kind. Forgive. Be compassionate. Christ has done so much for us. He has given us eternal life and the abundant life right now.

Father,

Keep us from growing bitter and unkind. Give us hearts to see others as You do, to love, to forgive, to look for the good. You understand how difficult it is for us. We want to be right. We believe we have the answers. The truth in always found in You.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment