Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Follow Me

My sheep listen to my voice. I know them and they follow me. John 10:27

     The above verse takes us from the time we first hear His voice and accept Jesus as Savior. Yesterday we talked about getting to know Him. The powerful and all-knowing words of Scripture become planted in our hearts as we get to know Jesus intimately. And we want more than anything to follow Him.

     When Jesus first called His disciples, there must have been something so irresistible about Him that all He had to say was, “Follow me.” (See Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) And they did. They gave up professions as fishermen, gave up money as tax collectors, and followed.

     The beautiful thing about the disciples, at least in my mind, is how dysfunctional they were. The Bible does not mince any words when describing them. They were competitive. They wanted to know who would be first in heaven. Peter was outspoken and passionate and spontaneous. He was the one to deny Christ three times before the crucifixion.

     Thomas doubted. I can relate. But like the disciples, when we hear the voice of the One who breathed the world into existence and He says, “follow Me,” it is irresistible. I am humbly in His service with my imperfect ways. He changes lives. He transforms relationships. He moves hearts. He rebuilds and redeems and best of all, He forgives and forgets.

     Follow Him. Live by His Words and deeds. Love more, hate less. Be kind and patient and willing to stop throughout a busy day to lend a hand or to listen. The simple acts of love. Hear the simple and yet profound life-changing Words. Follow me.

Dear Jesus,
Yes we will follow You. We are blessed to live in a land of freedom. Christians are dying all over the world as they stand up to follow You. Would we have the courage to do the same? Make us bold and courageous as we follow You.

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment