Monday, March 24, 2014

Stepping In, Stepping Out

     My husband and I are early risers and often on Saturday mornings you will find one or both of us at the grocery store at the crack of dawn. One morning as we were taking our groceries out of the cart to be scanned, I noticed the cashier was sniffling and appeared to be quite miserable.

     I asked her if she was ok and she shook her head no. The poor thing, I thought to myself. I like to bag the groceries and I continued to watch her and pray for her as I went about my duties. My husband handed over the coupons and paid.

     In one spontaneous motion, as we were about to leave, I walked around behind the cashier and asked her if I could give her a hug. She looked puzzled, but nodded, and as I grabbed her in a big bear hug, I whispered, “I hope everything will be ok and I will be praying for you.” I said it quickly and courageously, hoping God would be pleased with this gesture of kindness.

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.   Hebrews 11:6

     I let go of the poor girl and here is what she said, “Oh I’m sure I’ll be fine. My husband and I usually get a bug like this about once a year.”
A bug?! She was sick?!

My embarrassment continued as we walked out and my husband shook his head. He said, “She’s always like that. She’s always grumpy and complaining about something.”

     We continue to laugh about this little episode and I was reminded of it again when we saw her this weekend. I’m pretty sure she averted her gaze away from mine. I like to think my hug and promise of prayer may have made a small difference in her life that day.

     You never know where faith will lead you. Keep your eyes and ears open in case a “grumpy” needs you. When Joshua and the Israelites came to the edge of the Jordan river. God promised He would part the waters for them. First, before He parted the river, they had to step into the swirling water. It took a step of faith.

     Stepping out brings more faith. God will do amazing things through your words and deeds with the power of the risen Christ. Step into the unknown water. Get your toes wet. When the waters part, walk through to the promised land of opportunities.

And as soon as the priests who carry the ark of the Lord-the Lord of all the earth-set foot in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off and stand up in a heap. Joshua 3:13

Dear Lord,
Open up opportunities as we step out in faith. Even when we don’t see results, You will honor our faith in You. Keep our hearts open to the hurt around us. You have answers for a hurting world. The grumpies around us have been known to crack a smile with a little kindness.
In Jesus name,
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment