Thursday, March 27, 2014

Storms

     My dad died forty-four years ago today. I was fourteen. The skies had been blue and sunny for me growing up until that day. Lightning struck and thunder roared and my mom and I were left to build a new foundation. She became my rock. I was blessed to have a loving mom and she sacrificed so much to watch over me.

     For years I stayed on the surface of life, living selfishly, following every wave that came my way, never casting my anchor on anyone or anything satisfying and solid and trustworthy and pure. The year I found that something good in my future husband, I was diagnosed with an eye disease that would leave me legally blind and shortly after that, my mom was diagnosed with cancer.

     She went back into the hospital the week of our wedding. She was unable to attend and died the next day. My husband lost his job shortly after that. The storms of life come up unexpectedly. And sometimes they roll in, one right after the other.

As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. Luke 6:47-48

     When I was drowning in despair and fear, I met Jesus. I had known Him on a casual, go-to-church-on-Sunday kind of way. Jesus has been building that foundation within me for almost twenty-five years now. More storms have hit. They always do. Has one hit your foundation? Jesus is the cornerstone. The rock. Build your hope in Him. He will bring you in safely from the deep flood waters, and protect you from each and every storm on the horizon.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned, the flames will not set you ablaze.  Isaiah 43:2

Dear Father,
I pray for each reader this morning. I pray they will feel the warmth of Your embrace, the peace of Your presence, the power of Your unending love and the hope of heaven. Show us how to build the homes of our hearts on the firm foundation of Your Son, Jesus. He will be with us through every crashing wave.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment