Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cracked Pots

     You and I are cracked pots.  On most days that is not a stretch for me to think about myself.  I hope by the end of this devotion you will see it as a good thing.  God often works through our flaws and cracks to show His goodness and strength. Here is a story I have used many times in teaching and speaking. It is worth repeating. The author is unknown and I am paraphrasing.

     Many, many years ago, a water bearer walked a mile to collect water from a well for his master’s house. He carried a pole across his shoulders with a large pot on either end. One of the pots was perfect in every way and this perfect pot became proud of his work. The other pot had flaws including two large cracks running down its side. After two years of humiliation he spoke up. (As all cracked pots do) 

     “Excuse me, sir, but why do you continue to use me to carry the master’s water?  I am half empty by the time we reach his house.”  The water bearer replied with great compassion, “I knew you before I placed you on my pole for the very first time. Notice on your side of the road as we walk back, there are rows of beautiful flowers. You see, I planted seeds a long time ago. Each day as we walk back from the well, you have been faithfully watering those seeds.  Now the master has flowers for his table and a beautiful view.”

     Jesus knows us, cracks and all. It is amazing what God can do with us. He often uses the weakest and most “cracked” parts of us to work with and use. We realize how much we need Him to do the work in and through us. As we empty ourselves and begin with His help, He fills the cracks and flaws with His glorious light.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  2 Corinthians 12:9

Dear Jesus,
Fill these cracked pots with usefulness and purpose, as we learn to rely on you. Our flaws and weaknesses become beautiful in Your eyes. Help us to see each other in the same way. Your  grace is sufficient for us today.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment