Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Reminders/Repeating

     You know those annoying habits in families, the ones that drive each other crazy? I am distracted every day. My mind floats easily from one subject to another and eventually, or sometimes, I do get everything done. Our 40th reunion has taken up a good part of my summer, especially over the last month as we put it all together. The pre-reunion stories have turned into the post-reunion stories, and I am beginning to repeat some of them.

     Last night after dinner, I said something like, “Did I tell you….?” And my husband and two daughters nodded their heads before I began. There are things worth repeating, like God’s Word, but before we talk about that I want to tell you two reunion stories. 

     Our class heartthrob (or one of them); our class had over 600 people, came to the reunion all the way from New York. He had not been to a reunion in decades. Over the course of the evening the joke began. “I had a crush on Rick in 6th grade, another 8th grade, on and on it went. Several girls dated him in high school and beyond. He now has three daughtersJ I call that justice.

     My friend, Gwen, has been on the planning committee. She is beautiful and funny and so organized, not distracted at all. She had been telling us how mean she was in Junior High. Gwen and I were sitting at the registration table and a man came up and said to her, “I remember you. You were mean and funny.” She turned to me and said, “I told you so!” And we laughed. He continued, “You called me tubsy wubsy.” She was mortified. She apologized. They hugged and had a nice conversation. I call that forgiveness.

     I could go on, but I can wait until my family gets home. God’s Word is worth repeating. It is alive and powerful. Try repeating God’s Word over and over. Memorize a few verses in the next couple of weeks. It becomes an arsenal for the future. Here are a few good ones. If you Google, “Blue Letter Bible” you can put in any word and it will give you all of the Bible references.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. Romans 8:37

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.  Micah 6:8

    And some evening, you may hear about an act of justice, a touch of mercy and a little humility when you realize you are talking way too much and repeating yourself. Did I tell you about...? Maybe I will wait until tomorrow.

Dear Jesus,
We do want to act justly, show mercy and walk humbly with You. Your Word gives us courage, power, strength, light, and love and teaches us how to walk as Your children. You give us strength to do all things. We are more than conquerors. Thank you for Your Word. It is worth repeating over and over again.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment