Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Presence of God

     You know where I’m heading this morning don’t you? Somehow God is teaching me lessons from our reunion. He will teach us anytime, anywhere through anything. He just needs us to stop and listen. The evening was special. Think back to a day, a vacation, a time that was a little different from the rest. This time it wasn’t just me. Listen in to the comments that have been flowing in on Facebook, via e-mail, note or phone.

 “I am still trying to come down from that great night.”
“I had the best time at my 40th reunion last night. It was very emotional for me.”
“It was an extremely moving experience.”
”I was surprised by how much warmth seeing old friends brought to my heart.”
“I didn’t recognize enyone at first; everyone peeking at name tags, but it was a magical evening.”
“I can’t get it out of my head. It surpassed my expectations.”
“it was a smash hit, filled with emotion, love for great long-time friends, laughter, great food and fun."
“I can’t wrap my head around, or explain my feelings about that night.”
“Now that I am back home, I want to try to put into words what it meant to see all of you again.”
“It was a night to treasure.”
“The memorial table put it all in perspective and we appreciated this time together to share past history and our current lives.”

    As I walked early yesterday morning, I tried to put into words the atmosphere of the reunion. And then it hit me. It was God’s presence. Others may not have recognized it, but everyone felt it. We had been praying for that night. Some of my prayers included these words;

“Lord, please send your angels in before us, anoint that room with Your presence and let us feel Your Holy Spirit.” Can it be a surprise that He was there? The power of prayer moves the hand that moves the world. He is so good. Our hearts were open to each other.

    Pray. Pray before a big event, before a difficult conversation, before work today, in the midst of a party. Ask for His presence. He will be there with bells on, to fill the space with His overpowering and loving presence. Tears are flowing when I remember all of the times He has been there, through so much suffering and in the deepest and most profound moments of my life. His presence changes everything. You won’t be able to wrap your head around it. There will be nights to remember. Here is a blessing for you from the Word of God as you begin your day.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Dear Lord,
Teach us to pray. Let us come before You and ask for Your presence. Thank you for the sweet memories of youth, of middle age and beyond. Thank you for Your love ahd the power of the Holy Spirit’s presence around us.
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment