Monday, April 20, 2015

An Anchor of Hope

     The day dawned gloomy, damp and cool. The news did not brighten the day; a young boy’s death, a fire and a car accident. It becomes a habit and a pattern of society to look at the tragic before the triumphant. The headlines take center stage.

     Choosing to look beyond the tragic headlines, even in our own lives, takes discipline and experience. The tragedies in my life can be taken out and looked at in minute detail. I can picture what I was wearing, the sights and smells, and the reactions of those around me. My mom died almost 30 years ago. Just a month or two ago, I was riding in someone’s vehicle and a scent brought me right back to the hospital where she died.

     God has used the tragedies and pain of experience in my past, and most likely yours too, for His good. I trust Him now even when things are looking desperate or hopeless. He has walked me through so much. To Him a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like a day. (Psalm 90:4 and 1 Peter 3:8)

     I stop to pray for families in turmoil, or those left after an accident or friends going through a difficult time. The prayers often have a similar ring, even with different circumstances.

     “Lord Jesus, let them feel Your presence in a real way. Let them get to know You, if they do not. Show them who You are. Surround them with Your Holy Spirit.”

     Jesus will be there in the middle of the mire, in the deepest pit, through the sights and smells of the pain, in each and every minute detail. He will be there and remain until the very end of the age, into eternity.

He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.  Psalm 40:2

     The earth is coming alive through these gloomy days.  The trees and tulips are sprouting their buds, the grass is turning green and God is in control. Hope remains alive. Hang on to hope in the midst of the tragic. Jesus is right there.

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain. Hebrews 6;19

Jesus,
You reamin the steadfast anchor of our souls. Keep hope alive for anyone suffering today. Grab their hand and hold them close as you help them out of the pit. You use every bit of suffering to bring about the abundant life. That’s what the cross did for us. We hold on to You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment